Dent in a mattress stares up
From a hole 3 thousand fathoms deep
Sensing the walls breathing
Listens to stillness’s whirling err
The radiators gurgling conversation with God
White hands extend from a cliff-face
Chalk, to heave up
While the movement of shadow passes time
Traffic and human noise rumble rhythms of a distance
Who once tipped the can at the other side of the globe
Necessitates time travel to go out for teabags
Two people
One of monolithic limbs
Heavy with forgotten knowledge
One flimsy web filament
Quivering with dawn dew
Both halves of a starfish awash with wonder
This is a poem I wrote about being depressed. I guess about being in a room over an extended period of time listening to the noises of the room while feeling completely detached and separate to the outside world. The 'two people' are just the one person, but the nature of the depression made me feel simultaneously old and heavy, burdened with knowledge and insight about the world that was both useless and upsetting, while also fragile and 'quivering'. Too delicate, too frail to expose myself to the outside world.
I felt myself as the absence, the 'dent'. But also, as the starfish. I like the image of starfish lying prone and sprawled, washed ashore, vulnerable out of water, but also for the starfish's ability to regenerate, to come back to life after being cut. I used 'wonder' as my word for depression or sadness. I was overwhelmed more than anything else by all the possibilities of the life around me.
It's by no means perfect, I'm no poet.
It's by no means perfect, I'm no poet.
No comments:
Post a Comment