The imagery from the song worked its way into my novel.
‘I have a dream about snow,’ she said, ‘I
dream I am running down a long corridor made of ice, it turns left and right
and right and left again but never leads anywhere. I’m running and I’m running
but I don’t know why I’m running except that I have to. Then I hear howling and
I know there are wolves outside. White
wolves. They come down from the mountain
and then I can see them through the wall.
They have red flames in their throats but it’s really their hearts and
they are burning. I can see them through the walls and they are scratching at
them trying to get in. And I want them
to. Even though I know they are dangerous
and that they are hungry and that they will hurt me, because they are
beautiful, I just want to touch one and I don’t care.’
‘You have to care,’ said Kai.
He meant it. It mattered to him more than anything had
mattered for a while. Yet somewhere in the back of his mind the boy was
laughing.
Something about the dream sounded familiar
but he couldn’t think what, when he tried to think about it his head ached and
the ringing in his ears was heightened.
‘You have to care,’ said Kai, emphatic now
but not sure why or that he himself would care.
No comments:
Post a Comment